Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Too many is just as bad as none

So I was looking at some old posts during a slow period at work erhm I mean after I got home and was done with the laundry and cleaning and found this really funny one over at Simcha's blog about people making rude comments to large families. Some of the responses the mothers give are funny, although I think if I had been in that situation I would've said something like:  yeah, we got TV but I really don't like commercials.

Anyways that got me thinking about large families and children... And let me tell you, it isn't pretty on the other end. We've been married for around three years and no babies. Granted, we haven't actively tried but we haven't gotten pregnant. And I'm cool with that.

If it's God's will for us NOT to have any kids, I'm not going to argue. But it does start getting uncomfortable when everyone asks: "when are you having kids?" well.... how would I know? I hate it when people ask me this question. And for some reason, they never seem to ask my husband, as if I was the planner or whatever.

So we go to Church where all the uber-Catholics seem to look down their noses to me, the childless woman (OK, OK perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's MY blog) and ask when is it that I'm going to have kids?. Look lady, you  have 25 kids behind you so I think you know from personal experience that kids.just.happen. Not all of them are planned.

And don't even get me started on the snobby comments on birth control. Well you know what? I'M NOT USING ANY! It seems like no one really stops and thinks that maybe... MAYBE... that's what God's will is. To not to have any babies, or to not have any babies now. And all I do is embrace it.

There's also the notion that we are not a family since we don't have any children. We're not a couple, we're married. We are a family. We are just a small family, but still a family.

So if it's any comfort for any of you ladies out there, for every moron that asks you if all those children are yours and if you know how they happen, there's a moron asking us (the just wives, not moms) when is it that we're having children already because we're not getting any younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment